- Be aware of your surroundings when firecrackers are going off. Most injuries happen to bystanders when a firecracker goes off around them.
- Children should always be supervised by adults when setting off firecrackers.
- Never try to relight a firecracker which hasn`t gone off the first time.
- Make sure there is no loose gravel glass bottles etc near the site where you are lighting your crackers. These can shatter and fly off by the force of the explosion and cause serious injuries.
- Projectile firecrackers (Rockets /7 shot etc.) should never be set off in a horizontal position.
- Keep a water source (bucket of water) handy to douse accidental fires.
- Warn motorists (especially 2 wheeler riders) when they are approaching your lit firecracker which is about to go off.
In case of an injury
1) Rinse the area with clean drinking water.
2) Do not apply any home remedies like turmeric / rose water etc. This is especially important if there is a suspicion of injury to the eyeball as these can cause severe inflammation / infection if they enter the eye.
3)Take the patient to an eye doctor as soon as possible.
4) Do not attempt to forcibly open the eyes if they are swollen shut. It may cause further damage if the eyeball has suffered a penetrating injury.
Authored by: Dr.Ashwin Shetty Consultant ,Ophthalmology Aster CMI Hospital